Home Forums Crumble Scratch ScratchCrumble testing release

Tagged: 

This topic contains 61 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Simon 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Simon

Well overnight – no crashes or dropouts on my dev machine running the exe 🙂

Simon

Just tried it out back at the school where is was failing and its run for an hour with no events so hopefully its fixed but I need confirmation from others 🙂

Simon

drkempton
    Participant

Hi Simon,

Your programme now appears to be very robust. Hasn’t crashed on me.

However there appears to be a problem with it communicating to Scratch. although your window text correctly reports the state of the inputs, Scratch does not respond. And the Crumble does not respond to changing inputs. It did the very first time I tried it but then it started to get flaky and even restarting Scratch did not cure it. Your prog continued to run OK throughout all of this.

I have noticed that when you click on the sensor value it now drops down resistance-A, resistance-B etc whereas before it was just A, B, C.. So perhaps Scratch does not know about your prog running. I have enabled remote sensor connections.

Not really the news you were hoping for I am afraid apart to say that ScratchCrumble seems now very robust indeed. Apologies for not testing sooner but I have been a bit busy.

Off on holiday from tomorrow wont be able to test anything for a week or so.

drkempton
    Participant

Ok,

So I rebooted my PC and it started working again. I realised that ScratchCrumble must have been running in some sort of diagnostic mode since previously it was continually reporting the state of the inputs whereas now it does not and last line of text from the bootup report just says “msgs running”.

The sensor value drop down now has A B C D at the bottom again. Previously they were not there

So now it seems to be OK but I will play with it for a bit longer to see if it holds up. Previously when I started trying out the other inputs (b,c,& d)was when it started to get flaky…

drkempton
    Participant

The Sensor Value report widget (behind the Cat) only appears to report the state of A even if you change the Sensor to one of the other inputs. However the Crumble still behaves correctly so the prog must be OK, just the reporting of the Sensor value. Worked using all 4 inputs in turn – but sensor value only changes when the input to A is changed.

Simon

em – I’m very confused by your description of sensor values

Using latest test script

my screen looks like this

4 sensor values A,B,C and D that respond to each leg

Simon

drkempton
    Participant

Hi Simon,

My screen looks different.See attached jpg file (could not work out how to paste it in to this window).

I have an arrow pointing to the value that does not update other than with the A input. Notice also that the table above looks quite different to yours.

I am running Scratch 1.4 on Windows 7.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

drkempton
    Participant

Doh!

I have just realised that my screen is only displaying the value of Sensor A. I had misread it as just “A sensor value”. That is why it only changes when I change input A. So just need to work out why my Scratch is not showing all four Sensor values. So probably not the cause of your prog.

BTW I have had Scratch and ScratchCrumble running for several hours now on my Laptop while I watched YouTube videos and did other stuff. No problems so far…

drkempton
    Participant

Simon,

I have worked out how to display all of the 4 sensor values now.

See attached.

Scratch and ScratchCrumble have been running now for more than 6 hours and still no crashes.

So well done and thank you.

David.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Simon

🙂
    Thanks very much for all your efforts and feedback

I think I’ll have a play around with sensor naming to minimise possible confusion
    Simon

Simon

Version 0.3 – changed inputs to CrumbleA/B/C/D (outputs still just A/B/C/D) prob going to play around further

Simon

thomaspreece10
    Participant

Hi Simon,
    Do you have any plans to release your source code or is it going to stay propriety?
    Thanks
    Tom

Simon

Hi
    What the situation is that the Crumble is obviously a commercial piece of kit and the software that it runs isn’t opensource.

Joseph has let me incorporate some python libs into my project so I can talk to the Crumble and at the moment I’m “hiding” these by only distributing an .exe.

I believe/think/hope that eventually these libs will be opened up but that’s a matter for Joseph

Simon

Simon

ScratchCrumble 0.4 can now control the sparkles 🙂

http://simplesi.net/scratchcrumble/

NixPix2003
    Participant

Hi
    I’ve just discovered Crumble and so far am really impressed, really simple, effective and with the range of 4tronix crumbs an elegant solution to the problem of controlling real world devices in the Primary classroom. Being able to program it through Scratch would be the perfect soution. I love the work you’re doing, way beyond my level of competency so kudos is due. Is there a reason you’re going down the Scratch 1.4 route rather than adding Crumble as an extension in Scratch 2.0, as Lego Wedo or Picoboard does? The way that automatically adds bespoke commands in the ‘more commands’ window makes it more readily accessible to KS2 kids, and would be great with Crumble. Cheers.
    Nick

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.