Home Forums Crumble Development ChromeOS / chromebooks

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I wondered if the crumble will work (in the future) with ChromeOS. Specifically to work with chromebooks in a classroom environment?

Good news first
    I’m planning on getting Scratch to control a Crumble

Bad News
    Even though Scratch 2 works very well on Chromebooks – existing hardware extensions for things like Lego WeDo don’t (according to Google – I have no Chromebook)

So unfortunately, its going to be very tricky (never say never) to get this to work

The Crumble software is written in python, so unfortunately, porting it to ChromeOS looks like a lot of work. Recently, Google have announced a way of running Android apps on ChromeOS, so that might ease things a little, but I haven’t looked into it yet.

Using Scratch could be interesting. I’m assuming it’s running in the cloud? I wonder if a little ChromeOS app could enable communication from Scratch. Although, the Crumble would only work when connected to the Chromebook, so depending on your application, it might not be ideal.

I wondered if there had been any progress on this. It would be great to use Crumble with Chromebooks. Any developments?

Hi nickmit,

Apologies for not getting back sooner.

I agree, it definitely would be great to use the Crumble on a Chromebook. Regarding the software, it is more likely to be later in 2018 rather than earlier.

As previous posts have mentioned, it unfortunately isn’t as simple to run the software on a Chromebook, and as such a completely new development is needed.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.