Home 2018 Forums Crumble Support ERROR: Crumble not found!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Raspberrypieman
    Participant

I have a Crumble controller v2r4 and have installed Crumble v0.24.1, on my desktop, running Windows/7 64bit.
    I plugged the controller into both USB ports and it installed a driver and completed.
    However on trying to download, I get “ERROR: Crumble not found!” on either port.
    On my laptop, running Windows/10 64 bit I get the “successful” message, so I assume the controller is OK.
    In Device Manager on both computers I can see a new USB Device under the HID section.
    Any Suggestions?

Joseph
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s strange that it should work on one PC and not the other. I have noticed that, on a few PCs, windows can take a couple of minutes to assign the driver. Often the Crumble gets unplugged before it’s finished and the process starts again. From your description, it doesn’t quite sound like this is the problem, however, I think it’s worth trying to leave the Crumble plugged in for a few minutes to see if anything changes.

This could also happen if another program is accessing the USB device. This could be another instance of the Crumble software. If you haven’t restarted the desktop, it might be worth doing.

Best wishes,

Joseph

Raspberrypieman
    Participant

Hi Joseph,
    Thanks for responding. I have rebooted and plugged in the Crumble and waited several minutes, although nothing happened, since the driver was loaded on a previous occasion.
    I still get “ERROR: Crumble not found!” when I try to download a program to it.
    Can you tell me more about how the device should appear in Device Manager and what driver DLLs should be attached to it?
    Also can I interrogate it with any other software, say Python or C to diagnose the problem?
    Martyn

Joseph
    Keymaster

Hi Martyn,

Yes, it should appear as a ‘HID-compliant device’. If that entry does appear, and it’s still not working, it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Crumble software, just to be sure everything’s fine there.

The Crumble software uses the HIDAPI library (written in c) to communicate with the Crumble (https://github.com/signal11/hidapi).

If you build hidtest (on my mac this just pops out when you run make on Makefile-manual), then run it, it should list all the hid devices currently connected. I get this entry when the Crumble is connected.

Device Found
    type: 1c40 05b8
    path: USB_1c40_05b8_14200000
    serial_number:
    Manufacturer: Redfern Electronics Limited
    Product: Crumble
    Release: 1
    Interface: -1

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Joseph

cloudberry
    Participant

FWIW, I had the same problem (win xp, asus eeepc). In the circuit that the crumble was connected to was an inductor (0.1H). In order to program the crumble successfully, I had to disconnect or short out the inductor…. So it’s possible the crumble is particularly sensitive to stray magnetic fields?

Dave
    Participant

Hi,
    A similar thing happened to my crumble on my iMac, when it had been perfect for weeks. I did a whole bunch of basics before it got connected again. Took power off of crumble including through USB. Restarted the iMac, used a second crumble, same error. Tried a different USB lead, no joy. Restarted the iMac, made a cuppa, tried again. Then it worked!

My crumble was with the robotic vehicle it had always been with. The only difference was that I’d left the battery power ‘on’ for ages and it had drained them. Replacement batteries might have been part of the fix.

STEMwithMrP
    Participant

Using MacBook Pro and not able to cnnect crumble.

Getting Crumble not found error.

Device is not being picked up at all by macbook.

I have rebooted.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

STEMwithMrP

Joseph
    Keymaster

Hi,

Have you been able to try with a different USB cable? I think the most common cause of this has actually been due to USB cables sold as charger cables, usually from certain well-known, low-cost highstreet shops. These cables sometimes only connect power, and not data, to save on costs.

If you’re using one of our white ‘noodle’ USB cables it will have the data lines connected, however, it might be worth trying another just incase it’s faulty.

Best wishes,

Joseph

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.