Forum Replies Created
I haven’t implemented my PicaXe IR Crumb yet, but I propose to set 3 parameters in the picaxe. These can be sent to the crumble as 3 pulses, the voltage of which convey the parameter value, and the duration can indicate which parameter is being sent. I think 20 distinct voltages can be used, and 3 distinct durations.
All 3 parameters can be sent at start-up (from EEPROM stored in the picaxe, and individual changes sent with a single pulse.
It does mean the crumble code must scan the input continually however.
I have used screenshots, but as you say, it gets complicated when the program fills more than 1 screen.
My XML display script converts .crm files to text, so it is easier to print, and to compare programs. (looking for minor tweaks that made jit run better)
The Dxml web page (currently private only) has a crm upload, Txt download and display, and textual compare features.
Maybe the promised textual output in the next version will solve your problems
How about a merge function in the crumble app?
This would allow you to load TWO (or more) .crm files into the editor AT ONCE.
You could then delete the bits you don’t want.
You could make it merge the variables as well.
I have merged two “.crm” files using a simple text editor, so a program (or cgi script) would have no problem
I have programmed a conversion from the.crm XML format to pseudo – basic.
More of an intellectual exercise that something of any use.
Example output in attached files.
I will now look at a “merge” program that combines 2 .crm files into one.
We’re running pololu 30:1 motors with 60mm wheels. At the higher voltage we get a micromouse Drag race speed of about 2.2 seconds. (for 5.65 meters)
Current (9 volts) to 1 motor (stalled) = 1.1 amps Not stalled = 0.68 amps.
At the 5volt setting it’s about 0.23 amps.
No trouble so far Fingers crossed.
There’s not much of a circuit. The 5 volt track to the motor driver chip needs to be cut, then cleaned each side of the cut.
Then I soldered a wire to the track each side of the cut.
The wire nearest the driver chip is then connected either to:
– the original 5v line (the other wire), for normal operation.
– a 9volt supply. For faster motors.
I will post an image of which track to cut.
I have successfully applied this to our Crumble based Drag Racer.
With a 9 volt PP3 battery running the Crumble via a 7805 regulator, but with the Motor driver directly connected to the battery, we could get about 7.5 volts to the motors.
This is, of course, fully PWM controllable by the Crumble Pic processor, so we can steer down the line.
An extra 1500 microfarad capacitor across the crumble’s 5 volts did help matters.
About 45% faster!
Tested it just now. Works fine, thanks.
I forgot to say…
Could this limiting apply to values less than -100 as well please?
For those of us with motors wired backwards.
Further question on the capability of the motor outputs:
Can I connect a 1.5v single cell battery in series with the output to get a faster motor speed?
I have done this successfully with other robot designs, and therefore use a negative output to actually stop the motor.
To put it another way: Is the output driver a simple transistor bridge (like L293D) or is it a pair of amplifiers, capable of producing a low impedance output at all voltages?
I can just read the letters embossed on the chip, but can find no data on it. Thanks
I agree. But you get into a whole new class of data:parameters and local variables.
Maybe a simpler approach would be to allow the use of “include” files. This would allow code to be written once only, and referenced.
If you allowed ‘folding’ of the program, so that whole syntactically complete chunks could be optionally seen as a single box, then this would get over the “fall off the bottom” problem. Some text editors provide this for if–then-else languages / html
A feature that is useful alongside this is, the non-volatile storage of the tuning variables. Thus, there is no need to enter the tuning variables every time you switch on.
You would need a different class of variables for this.
These features are very good educationally. Students can see the effect of Derivative control immediately.
The features are also essential for the quick turn-round needed in competitions.
I have found a way of putting in single-line positionable comments.
Just drop a variable onto the screeen and save the file.
Edit the .crm file to edit the name of the positioned variable.
You can inclide spaces, punctuation, numbers, but not control characters.
save the .crm file in the text editor, reload in the crumble editor and your comments can be positioned where you like.
See attachment below.
Not suitable for students however!